Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Artisan Bread

Why Go To Panera?

Ok...so I love to make bread, but usually just do my same recipe, which takes about three hours of "love" to make. My uncle has been telling me that I should try his bread recipe. I finally tried it, because if he could do it, I knew it must be a piece of cake....or bread for that matter. Here's what you do:

In a bowl, add:

3 cups flour

1/4 tsp yeast

1 1/4 tsp salt

1 1/2 cup water

Mix and put in covered bowl for 8-10 hrs

Pre heat pan and lid to 475 (pot roast)

Roll dough in flour on counter

Cook 30 min covered

Cook 5-10 uncovered until brown then cool on rack


Here's what I did differently: I added cornmeal to the bottom of the bread and because I wasn't sure what kind of pot to use, I made a water bath to put in the bottom of my oven (fill a 13x9 pan with a few cups of water to heat up with the oven. It will create steam, just like the lid on the pot will do). I just used a non-stick cookie sheet to put the bread on. Also, I didn't cook it long enough, so it didn't get super crunchy on the outside and was a tad bit doughy on the inside, but everyone said they liked it this way. We served it with fresh tomatoes and basil on it. Yum and it it beats the cost of buying a loaf at Panera.

ENJOY!

(Picture Courtesy of Julie Stainbrook...it's great when a photographer stays at your house...you get awesome pics. every day)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a stupid question. after salt you have a 1. did you mean for it to be 1 1/2 cup water or only 1/2 cup? Tell Julie I said hi! Thanks for the recipe.

Fellars Family said...

Thanks Leanna! I made this on Sunday. Who would have thought something so easy and simple would turn out so good.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones